Hi there!

Hi there! Welcome to my corner of the internets. I'm a 26 year old therapist, photographer, and shop owner currently living in Seattle, Washington. My online spaces are educational and lifestyle accounts dedicated to educating, engaging, and empowering women through digital art, home design, and travel.... with a touch of humor and personality sprinkled throughout. Stay a while!

The Time I Got Hospitalized At 27 Weeks Lol

Sunday, January 17, 2021


First things first, I am writing this for myself. It’s 2:00am, going on day 3 in the hospital and I woke up from Jake’s squeaky hospital bed creaking lol. I know I’ll want this whole story written down for the future (and probably the baby will too!), so I figure no time like the present. Plus, writing has always been therapeutic for me when big things happen.

The funny thing about introverts is that we are so private in real life, but open up when we have control of the conversation (aka online). I can drop an intimate post online, and then come back to the comments/texts when I feel able. But, ask me about this in person and I’ll prob blow most of it off hahahahah. So basically, I am going to read and appreciate all your texts/comments... but most likely not text or talk to anyone back 😂 So don’t take it personal, it’s just my personality. If you are a friend IRL/family member, feel free to Marco Polo or send texts and ask questions/chat about whatever and know I’ll probably ignore you for a bit, but I’ll get back to you in a week when I’m ready to chat about it again (and bored on bed rest probably 😂)

Let's dive in!

Day 1, Thursday, January 14, 2021:

So, something to know about my baby is that she is so hard to photograph haha. At the 20 week ultrasound, they do an "anatomy check" and check all your baby's parts to make sure they are developing ok. At my first, they couldn't get pictures of her spine or kidneys. They scheduled me for a second, and got pictures of her spine, but not the kidneys lol. So, I had to go in a third time on Thursday for them to get pictures of her kidneys and since I was already going to be there, my doctor ordered a check on my cervical length. At week 20 or so, they found out I have a "short cervix", which I'll attach a picture of below. A short cervix is a problem, because it puts you at risk for pre-term labor. There are a few interventions they can do for this. They can put you on progesterone suppositories (pills you shove up your vagina at night lol) to strength the cervix so it maybe grows or just doesn't shrink anymore OR a stitch so your cervix stay closed and baby stays baking. They only do the stitch up until week 23/24 I believe. My cervix was never short enough to do a stitch, so they just gave me the progesterone and put me on pelvic rest. Since I had to go back for all the ultrasounds to get pics of camera shy baby anyway, they were also doing cervical checks (sticking a probe up my vagina to measure my cervix lol) and it was staying pretty stable! So, that was good. My last appointment was in December, and my doctor ended up taking me off of pelvic rest since things were looking stable, but still suggested I take things pretty easy: aka not lifting a lot, but I could still go on short walks with Tucker, etc. 

So, I went in for another ultrasound on Thursday (27 weeks) thinking they were just going to photograph baby's kidneys and do a cervical check and send me home. I'd been taking things pretty easy and doing the suppositories every night, but cervix stuff is hard because it is just a crapshoot. Some people go full term, some people deliver early. Your cervix can go from being thick to thin so fast and you can even dilate without even feeling anything. 

The ultrasound tech started measuring my cervix and was like, "What was your last measurement? When did you go in last?" etc. I told her my last measurement was 31mm a few weeks ago. She then told me that my cervix was not only open, but had also shortened to 9mm lol! She showed me on the TV what you see below. So the baby's head is on the left, and the green line is what it *should* look like aka no open cervix. But, that yellow dip is the inside of my cervix open! Wild! And yeah, not really a good thing when I still have another 3 months until I'm due haha. 

The tech said she would grab the doctor, which is never a good sign lol. He came and told me that my cervix was open and looked dilated, so they were going to call my doctor and decide if I should go to her first or straight to the hospital. I was late to my appointment, so I had to go back out to the waiting room to finish filling out my intake paperwork and was a hot mess sobbing in my mask and trying to fill out the forms hahaha. They ended up printing me off a little thing and sending me over to my doctor, who was just a short walk away in a different wing of the building. It was just such a shock that my cervix had tanked! Cue me walking through the halls to my doctor's office, on the phone with Jake, try to tell him he needs to come to the hospital ASAP, while sobbing and wearing a mask lol. He was like, "Honey, I can't understand you" lololol. 

Anyway, I waited in my doctor's office while Jake Ubered over. My doctor let him come into the appointment which was another sign things probably weren't that good lol. She told us that my cervix was open at the top, but closed still for about 9mm at the bottom. But, that I was dilated to a 2, had "hybrid funneling", and only had about 9mm left of my cervix. She also manually checked my cervix to double check the dilation and was immediately like, "Yeah go to the hospital." Hahaha. (Side note: She just came in to see us last night and told me that she didn't want to freak me out at the time, but when she manually checked my cervix, she could feel the baby's head!!! Can you imagine!!) I overheard her call the hospital and tell them she was sending over a "sweet little patient for a few days" and was like, oh, ok this is getting more serious haha. 

I had parked my car on the street that morning, so they let me walk over with Jake to get the car and drive the block to the hospital. I called my mom to give her an update and was like, "Sorry, I'm out of breath I am walking up a hill." She was like, "What!! You can't be walking up a hill right now! You have a short cervix!!" And then once we got to the car and drove the block to the hospital, I saw this cute museum and was like, "Oh Jake, look how cool that museum looks." And she again was like, "Em! Don't comment on museums! Me and Jake are in panic mode!" Hahah. 

We got to the hospital and they told us the plan was to get some steroid shots for the baby's lungs to develop faster and some magnesium IV to help with cerebral palsy if she was born early (and I think magnesium can help with stopping contractions, although I wasn't having any). They said they could only do this twice (so once this visit and once another visit if it comes to that). The steroid shots have to be given 24 hours apart, so we knew we would be here for at least two days to get that done. 

I got to eat some breakfast before they put me on a magnesium IV (all this was happening at like 8:00am), because once I was on that I could only have half a cup of fluid every hour. It was pretty chill for a while. They monitored the baby and my uterus for contractions (and have twice a day since then). She was kicking around and you could hear it get picked up on the monitor lol. Our first nurse was so nice and funny, by the way (they all have been!). She was like, "Wow! You've got an active baby!" I also got my first blood draw (of 3 the next 48 hours) and got my IV put in. 

After I ate, they gave me a steroid shot in my bum lol and it actually hurt a lot worse than I was expecting! The magnesium wasn't super fun either, but the nurse brought me a fan and a bunch of ice packs for the hot flashes that helped a lot. And those went away after the first little bit and then I just felt really woozy.

At this point, we also realized my bed wasn't inflating. (These hospital beds are so dope and like adjust with you body weight haha I love it.) So, after me thinking that's just how hospital beds are for a few hours, my nurse said something and we realized it was in fact broken. We were lucky because a bigger room had just opened up, so she moved us over there. She brought in a little wheel chair, because at this point the magnesium made it hard to walk. She was wheeling me over to the new room, giving us a little tour of the hospital and showing us the views. She was talking about some wing of the hospital and I was like, "Oh, what wing am I in?" (thinking I was in labor and delivery or something). And she was like, "High risk pregnancy." Hahahhahhahah. So, I guess I am officially a high risk pregnancy person. But, the new room has been so nice! Such a pretty view, more space, and a bed that actually works! I feel like I am staying at a nice hotel haha.

The rest of the night we ate dinner and watched The Office. Jake's cousin was so nice and watched Tucker. My emotions caught up with me a bit, too. She sent us a pic of him and of course I immediately started crying, because I was so happy he was in good hands hahaha. I never cry, so crying this much did feel good!

Jake has been allowed to stay with me (he is my only visitor allowed) and he can leave once a day (depending on the nurse). So he ran out our first night and grabbed some fruit and crackers, which ended up being so nice to have when I was sick the next day!

I slept pretty terribly this night. They were having me buzz the nurses if I had to get up, since the magnesium made it hard to walk. And MAN. It got really hard to walk in the night lol. I also felt like I couldn't keep my eyes open that wide which was funny. They ended up doing another blood draw to measure if I was getting too much magnesium and ended up lowering my dose day 2!

Day 2: Friday, January 15th, 2021.

Day 2 was rougher haha. They did end up lowering my dose of magnesium. I had a low appetite that morning. My nurse brought in my pre-natal and I told her I hadn't been taking them because they made me sick. Then, while I was sitting there, I started to feel a little bit nauseous, so I asked for a vomit bag just in case (although I hadn't vomited since like October). She was like, "Take off your mask too, masks and nausea don't go well together." So, I did and like immediately vomited into the little bag hahaha. I also got a bloody nose for the first time in my life (literally while vomiting lol), so that was an interesting combination. The nurse was like, "Good thing I didn't give you the prenatal!" Lol.

They monitored the baby and my uterus again: she still looked good and I still didn't show any contractions. I got my second steroid shot and it actually didn't even hurt that bad. So weird! The nurse was like, "Patient say I give good shots." And I was like, "Yeah, I'll say!" They also took me off the magnesium after the second steroid shot which was AMAZING. It took a bit to leave my system, but since then I've been able to get out of bed by myself and go to the bathroom without buzzing a nurse every 30 minutes lol. And I don't have to have all the cords connecting to the drips!

The rest of this day I just watched TV and hung out. Jake went home to get some supplies, so I could change out of the hospital gown now that my IV was gone. He took Tucker on a little walk and brought back some snacks.

They monitored the baby and my uterus again and everything looked good. She had the hiccups and we could hear it on the monitor lol. This was also the first night I didn't need any night check-ins, so I was able to sleep a little bit better.

Day 3: Saturday, January 16th, 2021.

Day 3 was much of the same: Still had some trouble sleeping that night (I miss my bed and pregnancy pillow lol), baby still looking good on the monitor, still no contractions, steroid shots were over, didn't have to have a magnesium IV anymore. All good things! One of my doctor's partner's came in to discuss if we would be able to go home. She said she was pretty nervous about sending me home just yet and since my doctor would be in at 6:00pm, wanted to keep us here until then when my doctor could check me out and see what she thought.

I was finally able to shower, though! They just have to tape this huge glove to my hand to keep my IV dry lmao. Sadly the water wasn't very warm, but it was nice to not be *as* smelly lol and get a change of clothes. I also had to do a urine sample this day, but aside from being a little backed up from the medication, felt fine! Jake took Tucker on a walk where he met a new friend. We ate dinner and Jake feel asleep like this lol.

Our doctor came in to see us that evening and basically said that since week 24-28 is such a crucial point in a baby's development, she wants me to stay here until I hit at least 28 weeks (which will be Thursday) and then we'll re-evaluate. They haven't measured my cervix again, so hopefully it stays at a 2! She also said it's just kind of a crapshoot. Like it's hard to say whether all this means I'll go into labor early or go full term. I'm kind of mentally preparing for a NICU/premie, so it's not as much of a shock if it happens. My doctor sent in an order for us to chat with someone from the NICU this week, so that will be good to learn more about what that would look like and what their policies are right now with COVID. My doctor said she thinks both parents are allowed in at the same time, but no other visitors are. So, that's at least good to know that Jake and I could go visit BB together! They are also going to do another ultrasound sometime this week to measure the baby and see where she's at size wise, so that will also be fun to see!

And I think that's pretty much it so far! Hopefully these next few days are nice and quiet with no contractions or anything crazy haha. I've been playing lots of Animal Crossing and watching TV. Also enjoying the room service. Although I'm sure I'll hit my limit with those meals in a day or two lol. Overall, I think this situation could be a lot worse, so I'm just happy to be here and feel safe and secure with all the monitoring that's going on! I'm sure I'd be a lot more anxious if I was at home having to make judgement calls on if I'm having contractions or just normal pregnancy pains haha. So, I'm not mad to be here a little longer! Especially since 28 weeks is such a huge milestone. It's nice to know bb girl is getting a lot of monitoring to get her there! Not to mention, if something happened, we are literally right here and could call and nurse and be whisked away to whatever medical thing they need to do.

Wow, that was a lot! But, it has been an experience for sure haha. Sorry in again for ignoring everyone lmao and yes I will keep you updated on how dope my Animal Crossing island gets while I'm here 😂 But in all seriousness, thanks for your well wishes and good vibes! Let's hope this bb stays bakin'!


- - - - -



Talk to me!